Workshop Plans and Exercises
This workshop will help white people examine the racial barriers that separate and interfere with truly bonding with that divine spark in everyone and increase the potential of creating deep, honest, and meaningful relationships.
How would the world look in 50 years with true racial and environmental justice?
How can a community be safe for ALL neighbors, friends, and visitors, especially in the context of the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman experience or other examples of a person of color being killed by police or racial violence?
This workshop’s goal is to help people access their inherent brilliance and experience to use this toolkit to transform ourselves and our institutional policies and systems that perpetuate structural racism and oppression.
match the quotes with the list of people:
1. …I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people:
2. I have respect for the Black people of my country and I want them to have their own life, too, and I want them to be able to pursue their own destiny and not be controlled, and not be damaged.
3. Nearly all black and brown skins are beautiful, but a beautiful white skin is rare
*Rate each person in story
* Discuss results
The Story: –– Bill, a new Black mid level leader (clerk of a Monthly Meeting, line supervisor, etc.) is starting a Leaders of Color Support Group in the organization. He begins by asking Sydney, a white man who is the upper management, for permission to organize the group, including advertising on bulletin boards, putting notices in the newsletter, and meeting in a room at the organization’s headquarters as well as travel expenses. Sydney approves the request.
Read the following statements:
Think about how they make you feel right now. Are they true for you?
* – I am not racist.
* – I don’t understand what you people are saying or what you want.
* – On the whole, the educated, the upper classes, the emotionally mature, and the deeply religious are much less racist.
* – Other ethnic groups have had to struggle. Why is this so different?
* – Angry people of color make me feel so helpless.